The northeastern Indian state of Assam is well-known for its voluminous cultural legacy and traditions. The holidays that are celebrated in Assamese culture are among its most prominent features because of how enthusiastically and fervently they are observed. In the Indian state of Assam, one of the most well-known holidays is the Dehing Patkai Festival. The Government of Assam is in charge of organizing it. The event, which takes place every January, is aimed to highlight the natural beauty, cultural legacy, and Dehing Patkai region’s status as the “Amazon of the East.”
Visitors have a wonderful opportunity to experience the Dehing Patkai region’s natural beauty and learn about the culture and heritage of the locals during the Assamese Dehing Patkai Festival. The festival serves as a crucial venue for local entertainers, artists, and performers to display their abilities.
Overall Dehing Patkai Festival 2023 is a great celebration of the culture and natural heritage of the region.
History of Dehing Patkai Festival
Dehing Patkai Festival is a celebration of the rich cultural heritage and natural beauty of the Dehing Patkai region in Assam, India. The festival is organized annually by the Government of Assam and is held in the month of January. This annual event is hosted at Lekhapani in the eastern part of the northeastern state of Assam in India in January.
The naughty Dihing River and the magnificent Patkai range are honored in the festival’s names. Since it was first held in 2002, the festival has grown to be a significant occasion on Assam’s cultural calendar. The event serves as a vehicle for promoting tourism and conservation in the area while honoring the region’s rich biodiversity and cultural legacy.
Dehing Patkai Festival 2023 Attractions
The Patkai Festival of Dehing in Assam features a range of activities, including cultural performances, art and craft exhibitions, food fairs, and guided tours of the Dehing Patkai Elephant Reserve. The festival also includes adventurous activities such as elephant rides, river rafting, and jungle treks. Adventurous sports are generally organized on the marvelous islands of the Brahmaputra river.
The festival has gained popularity over the years, attracting both domestic and international tourists to the region. It is considered a perfect destination for nature lovers and those who want to experience the beauty of the Dehing Patkai Elephant Reserve and learn about the cultural heritage of Assam.
The festival has been enjoyed more enthusiastically in recent years, and actions have been done to protect the local ecology. The region is heading toward a sustainable future where growth and conservation coexist with the continuation of this festival.
Best Things to Do at Dehing Patkai Festival 2023
- Attend the opening ceremony and cultural performances.
- Explore the Dehing Patkai Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Visit the local tribal villages.
- Try local food and handicrafts.
- Participate in adventure activities.
- Attend the closing ceremony and firework display.
- Enjoy the picturesque beauty of the place.
Tourist Places to Visit near Dehing Patkai Festival 2023
- Dehing Patkai National Park
- Digboi Refinery – The world’s oldest oil refinery, established in 1901
- World War II Cemetery.
- Poba Reserve Forest
- Jeypore Rainforest
- Joypur Rainforest
- Dehing Patkai Elephant Reserve – A protected elephant reserve home to a large population of Asian elephants.
- Namdang Stone Bridge – A historical bridge built during the British Raj, known for its engineering marvel.
- Tingrai Tea Estate – A tea plantation known for its high-quality tea leaves.
- Ledo War Memorial – A war memorial dedicated to the Indian soldiers who fought in World War II.
- Srimanta Sankardev Kalakshetra
- Kaziranga National Park
- Manas National Park
How to Reach Dehing Patkai Festival 2023 in Assam
- By Air: The nearest airport to reach the Patkai Festival of Dehing is the Mohanbari Airport at Dibrugarh, located at a distance of approximately 95 km from the festival location.
- By Train: The nearest railway station is the Tinsukia Railway Station, located at a distance of approximately 54 km from the festival location.
- By Road: The Dehing-Patkai Festival location can be easily accessed by road.
Important Details About Patkai Festival of Dehing in Assam
|Dehing Patkai Festival 2023 Location||Lekhapani in Tinsukia district of Assam|
|Dehing Patkai Festival 2023 Dates||January 16th to January 19, 2023|
Overall, Dehing Patkai Festival 2023 is one of the most awaited tourism festivals in Assam and is a great way to promote the destination and increase tourism, boosting the local economy and providing valuable experiences for visitors and residents alike. Thanks for reading, and I will see you in the next post.
Image Credit: Indian Holiday
FAQs on Dehing Patkai Festival 2023
The Patkai Festival of Dehing is an annual cultural and environmental festival celebrated at Lekhapani in the eastern part of the northeastern state of Assam in India.
The festival is usually celebrated in the month of January.
The festival includes cultural performances, traditional games, conservation-themed competitions, and eco-tours of the Dehing Patkai rainforest.
The festival is organized by the Government of Assam in collaboration with the Assam Forest Department and other local organizations.
Yes, the festival is open to the public and visitors are welcome to attend and participate in the activities.
The Dibrugarh district of Assam, India, is home to the Dehing Patkai Wildlife Sanctuary. It is accessible by both air and road. The Mohanbari Airport in Dibrugarh, which has good connections to important Indian cities, is the closest airport.