Eternal spread of tea plantations, immaculate valleys and foot hills, interesting species of flora and fauna in its wild nature reserves and jungles, fragrance of spice sniffed cool air and beauty at its best. Welcome to Munnar. Cheeyappara Waterfall, Silent Valley, Rajamali National Park, Tea Museum, Mattupetty Dam, Echo Point, Grassland and Kundala Lake would surely justify your reason behind visiting Munnar. If you are non-veggie then Munnaris bliss for you. Fish and beef (however now proscribed) are extensively consumed in God's Own Country. Usually, Kerala chic Malabar parotta and rice are complemented by beef, fish and meat.
The Photogenic Places To Visit In Munnar
Munnar is one of the most beautiful places to visit in Kerala. There are some amazing photogenic places to visit in Munnar like eco point, top station and many more. The details of such photogenic places of munnar are described as below.
1. Kundala Lake
This artificial lake, known for prolific beauty, is located around 20 Km from Munnar. You can enjoy leisure activities like boating and explore the picturesque charmer of nature. Kundala Lake is enveloped by hills and valleys which is also a home on the “Neelkurunji” flower that blooms once in twelve years. You can visit here throughout the year. There are no entry fees here but you will be charged for carrying a video camera.
2. Top Station
If you want to enjoy embracing views of the Western Ghats and the most charismatic valley in Munnar, Top Station is a must-visit. It has acquired this name because of being the highest point with a railway station. Adventure lovers can undertake trekking to the top station through the central village.
3. Eco Point
Located at 15 Km from hill station is the most mystical place to visit in Munnar. Visitors enjoy the natural phenomenon of echo here. The eye-catching beauty of this place is fascinating for both kids and adults. Carrying a trekking /walking stick is recommended while ascending through steep slopes.
4. Mattupetty Dairy Farm
It is also known as Indo- Swiss dairy farm. This place will give you an insight into how livestock is taken care of to produce the best quality dairy products. The lush green pastureland gives its visitors an alluring view. Do not miss this serene place in Munnar.
5. Eravikulam National Park
It is located within proximity of 15 km from Munnar. Declared as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, it is spread across 97sq. Km and is home of endangered NilgiriTahrs. A paragon reservoir for nature and wildlife lovers, the park also serves as the habitat for many exotic and endangered species. Indian Muntjac, Golden Jackal, Tiger, Leopard, and NilgiriLangur can be photoengraved here.
6. Blossom International Park
Trip to Munnar will be incomplete if you don’t visit this place. This 16 acres parkland is a home of rare and exotic plants. It’s a hub for thrill and leisure seekers. Activities like boating, bird watching, nature walk, roller skating, and adventure trails can be enjoyed here.
Celebrations of Festival in Munnar
- Munnar celebrates and rejoices in Aadi, Karthika Vilakku, Munnar Flower Show, Munnar Mela, Munnar Panchayat Mela, Onam and Pongal.
- This is the best time to witness the culture and traditions of Munnar. If you are shopping freak then from tea to spices, there are too many things to buy from munnar.
- Buy coffee, ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, pepper, clove etc. Homespun chocolates available here would just sooth your tongue.
Best time to visit Munnar
June to September is the rainy season here and despite the fact numerous travelers avoid coming here in the monsoons, this is a wonderful time to holiday in the hill station. Enclosed by opulent green vegetation, rains in Munnar have an allure of their own.
How to reach Munnar
- Cochin International Airport is 110 kms away by road. From Cochin, a cab would take you to Munnar.
- The nearby railway station from Munnar is at Aluva at 110 kms from Munnar. The Ernakulam Railway Station is 130 kms where as the Madurai Railway Station is 135 kms.
- The best way to reach Munnar by road is Kerala State Road Transport Corporation’s bus services from all major cities in Kerala.
Weather in Munnar