Kolkata and its History, Culture
Calcutta, as the older generation still knows the city by this name, has rich books of past and culture. The capital city of the West Bengal state finds its place on the shores of the Hooghly River. The city was the capital of the British Indian Empire till 1911.
No wonder if I describe this city as a city full of Talent. It has been contributing to the Indian culture and heritage for ages and has produced many great artists that have brought the country international fame.
Places to visit in Kolkata
The sweet-speaking city of the country houses some of the excellent tourist places in Kolkata. Let me take you on a quick tour-
- Regarded as the iconic structure of the city, the mighty bridge is the oldest yet busiest place in the city.
- The white marble building covering a vast land of 57 acres calls thousands of tourists annually, to praise its beauty. It is the Palace of unique collections.
- This place located near north Kolkata has lots of spots worth visiting. The ancient temples of the region are sure to make your day divine.
- The second largest cricket stadium in the world is really a perk for the cricket lovers visiting the city.
- This wildlife Sanctuary holds the title of being the largest in many ways. It is in the UNESCO listing of World Heritage sites and has the largest river delta in the world. Also, it is the largest tiger reserve and the largest national park in the country.
Things To Do in Kolkata
Enjoy Tram Ride
- Although an important means of public transport, the vintage tram ride can be a unique experience for visitors. Go hooting all the way and enjoy this joyful ride.
Boat Ride at Hoogly River
- The perfect definition of enjoying the sunset can be defined here. Princep ghaat at the Ganges offers awe-inspiring boat ride.
Explore the Art and Cultural Side of Kolkata
- Visit the local exhibitions and the Academy of fine arts to have a true interaction with the amazing arts of the state.
Visit Smaranika Tram Museum
- How about an idea of a museum and Café in a tram? Well, this place has it all.
Watch the Football Match at Salt Lake Stadium
- Football lovers can also have fun in this city and watch some memorable kicks and shots in the stadium.
Best Time to Visit Kolkata
Plan your trip to Kolkata between October and February to enjoy the city and its festivals to the fullest.
Things to Eat in Kolkata
- The city and its people are known for this iconic dish. The cottage cheese and semonila mixed sweet balls is the signature sweet dish of the state.
- The typical Bengali dish that is used as a comparison for the sweetness of a girl, is a perfect blend of cottage cheese and sugar.
- This mouth-watering desert holds its special place on festive occasions. A perfect amalgamation of flour, cream, sugar, saffron, lemon juice and, coconut flakes leaves the person absorbed in its taste.
- Being in Kolkata and not tasting Fish would be unfair. This famous Bengali dish contains servings of delicious fish with spicy curry.
- No house in the country would have been untouched by the magic of Mishty doi at least once. This sweet fermented yogurt is everything you were looking for.