All about Chennai
Chennai and its History, Culture
The city welcoming of Chennai, which was Madras till yesterday and Madraspatnam the day before has seen many rulers ruling its land for decades. The city first saw its importance as a centre for trade in the year 1639 from the efforts of Francis Day and Andrew.
The rich cultural heritage of the city can be seen in its fine arts, music and dance forms, people and cuisines.
This high spirited city has left no stones unturned in preserving its culture as the nation’s heritage.
Places to visit in Chennai
As the city sees itself in the southern lands of the country, which is rich in the diverse flora and fauna, it is blessed with some awe-inspiring places by default.
Apart from the naturally blessed sights, the city has also developed many tourist places worth paying a visit. Few of them are-
- The small town holds much religious significance. It houses lots of temples and caves to peep into.
- The coastal city holds a 13km long natural urban beach in its outskirts, which is the longest beach in the country and second largest in the world. No more second thought for visiting this place!!
Things to Do in Chennai
The city of Chennai is the complete fun filled package for the tourists. The city has perks for all. Right from starting your day taking sunbath over the beach, you can retire to bed praying at the temples of the state. Here are some of the top activities to be done at Chennai-
Witness the Beauty of Largest Beach in India
- have a long walk along the wave line, sit back on the shore and get tanned, make sand castles with long minarets or go swimming in the sparkling water. The Marina beach is one solution for all boredom.
Have Fun in MGM Dizee World
- This is an Indian version of Disney land, where no one can refuse enjoying and behaving childish. You are sure to have lots of fun here.
Fishing at Barracuda Bay
- The major attraction of the coastal cities are their fishing activities. One can choose from varieties of fishing activities here as- trolling, popping or jigging.
Live the Turtle Walks
- March towards the beaches of Chennai that harbors the endangered species of Olive ridley turtles. The rare view of the amphibian nestling is surely going to dwell in your minds for lifetime.
Watch the Stars at the Birla Planetarium
- If you are a science lover you must have a visit here to see your existence in the world of stars.
Best Time to Visit Chennai
Plan your trip to Chennai between October and February to enjoy the fullest. In the season of winter you can enjoy to the fullest in Chennai.
Food to Eat
One cannot resist themselves from tasting the authenticated South Indian Cuisine, once here. Being the coastal city, the place is a paradise for the sea food lovers. Do Try-
Plantain leaf meals
- The typical south Indian full course meal is eaten in plantain or banana leaf. Don’t forget having this unique south Indian food experience.
Idli / Dosa
- The famous breakfast that has spread across the country, but the authenticated south Indian taste can only be relished here. Don’t forget trying the varieties of this famous south Indian dish.