Kalinjar fort is located at the top of the hill and it holds many monuments and idols. Apart from these, many temples and buildings are situated inside the fort. This fort is an important fort for Hindus as it believed the abode of the Hindu god Shiva. Nilkanth Mahadev is one of the major attractions of Kalinjar fort. It takes 3 to 4 hours to explore the beauty of this fort. This is an ideal place for people interested in history, nature & photography.
- Kalinjar fort was built by Chandela ruler Paramaditya Dev. This fort gets various names over a period of time. These names were Kirtinagar, Madhyagarh, Sinhalgarh, etc. Many well-known Kings like Humayun, Qutubuddin Aibak, Mahamud Ghaznavi attacked this fort but could not win from Chandel rulers. In 1569, Akbar win this fort, and in 1812 it was under British rule.
- Visitors are allowed to visit this place from 8 am to 6 pm every day
- There are No Entry fees to visit this fort.
How to Reach
- The nearest airport is Khajuraho, which is away around 130 km
- The nearest railway station is Atarra, which is away around 36 km
- There are many bus services available to reach Kalinjar fort by road.