At a height of 3566 meters, Har ki Dun is a cradle-shaped valley located in the center of Uttarakhand's Govind Ballabh Pant National Park. The valley offers a moderate trek that takes you through ancient villages, dense forests, and charming wooden bridges.
Best Time to Visit:
The valley is accessible for a limited period due to its high altitude and extreme weather conditions. The best time to visit Har Ki Dun Valley is during the summer & autumn months, which span from late April to early November. The weather during this period is relatively mild and favorable for trekking. It's recommended to avoid the monsoon season (July to mid-September) due to heavy rainfall and the potential for landslides.
Altitude and Acclimatization:
Given its high altitude, accommodation is crucial when visiting Har Ki Dun Valley. It's recommended to spend a day or two in the base camp or Sankri village before beginning the trek. This helps your body adjust to the reduced oxygen levels at higher altitudes, minimizing the risk of altitude sickness. Gradual inclination and proper hydration are essential to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience.
- Arrive in Dehradun or Sankri and travel to Sankri village.
- Explore the picturesque Sankri village, interact with locals, and immerse yourself in the culture.
- Start the trek from Sankri to Taluka (12 km drive, 10 km trek).
- The trek takes you through dense forests, riverside trails & charming hamlets.
- Reach Taluka and stay overnight in tents or guesthouses.
- Begin the trek from Taluka to Osla village (13 km).
- Experience the beauty of terraced fields, river crossings, and ancient temples.
- Reach Osla and enjoy the unique architecture of the wooden houses & local customs.
- Trek from Osla to Har Ki Dun (11 km).
- As you reach, witness the landscape transform with stunning views of the valley.
- Reach Har Ki Dun, surrounded by snow-capped peaks and meadows.
- Spend a day exploring Har Ki Dun Valley.
- Capture the valley's beauty, visit the Jaundhar Glacier & relax amidst nature.
- Start the return trek from Har Ki Dun to Osla.
- Enjoy the journey with a different perspective of the trail.
- Trek back from Osla to Taluka.
- Experience the trail in reverse, taking in the sights you might have missed before.
- Return from Taluka to Sankri.
- Reflect on the incredible journey and enjoy the calmness of Sankri.
- Depart from Sankri to Dehradun, cherishing the memories of your adventure.